Thursday, July 16, 2009

Baggage

Like most photographers, I have a bit of an obsession with camera bags. Over the last week or two I've debating over a couple different options to replace my Tamrac Expedition backpack. This backpack is not bad actually, it's got a nice little section for non photo items like snacks, a small book, ipods, etc. But the camera section is now a bit small for my needs. It won't fit my two main pro lenses. My increasing pickiness towards the higher end lenses has further agravated the issue. So it was time to shop.

I've been eyeing the Think Tank Street Walker backpacks for some time, but I wasn't sure which size to get. Tenba also makes a decent backpack, but after ordering one to play with, I found it to be more rugged than I needed. Half the depth of the bag was in the padding and straps. At the moment, I need a bag good for airline travel that'll carry my larger lenses. So the decision then was between the two Think Tank models. While I don't think I could go wrong either way, I'll probably end up keeping the smaller version. The larger pack is close to the size of my largest bag - so it would be rather duplicative. The smaller version offers sufficient room without allowing me to take all my gear - which isn't the goal. Photography isn't typically the primary goal of trips this bag will make. Yet there's still plenty of room for my D300, 24-70, 70-200, 50mm lenses, and a flash. If I can make a great shot with that list, I need a new hobby.

The bag is light weight and should fit under an airline seat with room left over for my feet. It'll be easy to lug around in the airport, and it doesn't scream 'photo bag, steal me!'

No comments: